If you plan to order a logo design and patents, you have to know how to evaluate the designer’s work. We offer you to pay attention to the foolproof rules that have to be used by all professionals.
1. The uniqueness. Logo has to be easy to remember, to have a unique shape, which can be retroduced in a memory without feeling that you can entangle it with another sign. Identification is the main function of the logo. For example, logo printed on the product can identify its reference not only to the company, but also to an appropriate price sector and a field of activity.
2. Simplicity. The simpler is a form of the logo, the easier it is to remember. But you should not fall into the outrance. For example, a monochrome circle is hardly a good sign to remember.
3. Universality. It means that the logo can easily be printed on any object of corporate identity. It is possible to print it in one color, it has to be legible and clear at any size. If you increase the logo to size of 2 sm and its details are lost – it’s a bad sign. Especially it has to be considered while using thin lines and contours in logo, which are often used by inexperienced designers. Logo with contains a lot of gradients, shadows, reflections, bliks, glows, textures, blurs, perspectives and shades can turn into shapeless spot while printing in one color, for example, on the clothes.
4. The balance between the part of the font and the sign. If logo includes a font part and a sign, it is better to use restrained font without extra originality, as it has to be focused on one part, and in this case it’s a sign. If the logo has no signs, then you can use the opposite way – to focus on the font or to design a unique font. But it’s not necessarily. In some cases, it’s more reasonable to use a modest solution about font. It must meet the mark on style, plastic, and reflect the nature of the sign. For example, if the sign contains rounded shapes, so letters with rounded ends will match with this sign.
5. Logo doesn’t have to illustrate company’s sphere of activity. This is what photos, advertising materials and schemes are used for. For instance, if you sell sanitary ware, it is not necessary to illustrate sink and bath. Such sign is too obvious. Imagine that every company will show the same illustrations in their signs, all these shops will look the same, they will lose their identity.
6. Logo should include features of the certain market’s part. Proficient designer should subconsciously feel the difference between approaches to design of logos for luxury restaurants and fast food ones. Everything would be different: shape, colors and fonts.
7. Sometimes, it can be difficult to find suitable images, which would associate with a product or a service. Such complications can arrow in case of some virtual goods, for example, software, banks, financial companies. In such cases, there is a need to take a particular feature, for instance, reliability, and look for images, that will be associated with this feature. One of such images can be a basis of the sign. Also, font logos will be perfectly suitable for such virtual products.
8. Do not use trivial images. These are the first images that come to mind of most people. Use them only in a completely different graphic performance.
9. The logo should be drawn and given to the customer in vector format: .ai; .eps; .cdr. Remember that a professional designer does not make logotypes in Photoshop. Photoshop is used for photos and other bitmaps. Сreated in Photoshop logo is just a defective logo, as it is limited with specified size when it is developed. Logo in vector can be enlarged to any size without losing quality.
10. Logo should keep up with the time, it should be created with the idea that it would be topical even in 50 years. Now there is a global trend of rebranding of the severe in their nature logos with solid bold letters, heavy dark colors, sharp angles. They are changed with lighter colors, with thinner and more plastic lines, sometimes with the withdrawal of large letters, with the addition of larger gaps between the letters.